It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: 2058 Betting Preview - Week 9
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:48 pm 

8-10 on the season, things are looking bad for us... Perhaps I'm giving too much weight to 2058 results. I'll dial that back a little bit...

In any case, some interesting games this week and all of them will be better than watching Detroit play:

Brooklyn (-4) at Atlantic City - The Phantoms are looking like one of the worst teams in the CFL right now posting some real duds on both sides of the ball. As the team starts most games slowly, journeyman QB Amadro is seeing his attempts tick up through the last few weeks. RB Trey Keith has been quietly very efficient on the ground... it would be nice if they didn't have to dig themselves out of 7-10 point holes in the second quarter. That's pretty much it for bright spots though. I pegged ACI at 9th best defense going into the season, but I don't know if they're even in the top half of units in the league right now.

The Brawlers, in stark contrast, are quickly becoming my favorite team to watch. These guys are a Steel Curtain for all but the most talented rosters and they are playing good team football. The Brawlers are continuing to pressure opposing QBs despite losing DE Springer this offseason, and now they've learned how to tackle and chase down ball carriers. What DC Wendell Blackwell has done with this unit is nothing short of miraculous. The offense is set up to partner with the stifling defense perfectly, grinding out games with RBs Shannon and Boyer with a few passes to WR Fernandes sprinkled in. Time of possession is king in BKN and I see this recipe going far.

It's hard to see any world where the Phantoms don't come out on the losing end. BKN wins handily, 24-10.

Fargo (-3) at Santa Cruz - The big storyline here is RB Fulton vs the team that franchise tagged him twice, then traded him for mere pennies on the dollar. Fulton is having a great season and might be the reason the offense is actually getting somewhere but the team improved defensively as well. The addition of veteran DT Mario Corral has had immediate impact against the run and CB Humphries shutting down half the field keeps QBs on their toes.

Rookie RB Ian Holzer has stepped into the massive shoes Fulton left in Fargo to somewhat mixed results. The opportunities are there, but the rookie's struggles have turned the spotlight onto the immensely talented WR Dakota Crabtree. Whether the ball is coming from Woodard or Schafluetzel, Crabtree eats up chunks of the field with every catch. CB Humphries will have his hands full with the second best receiver in the CFL. Perhaps because they've been a run first team for so long, the Sodbusters are showing the ability now to shut down opponents' rushers. I'm cautiously optimistic, but until they face better competition than the San Andreas division, I stand by my #25 preseason ranking.

Turnovers will feature prominently here as both teams have trouble keeping possessions going. I think SCU has what it takes to cover and probably win here in spite of rumors that QB Woodard is starting under center. 27-24 SCU.

Tucson at Las Vegas (-14) - I know, I know, trusting any amount of money with the Toros is not what anyone wants to do right now, but injuries are piling up for the Rounders at a rate that can't possibly be sustainable. DE Johnstone, DT Sjostrand, LB Gillespie, CB Sexton, and SS Sweazy are all nicked up starters that may or may not see play this week. LVS at 6-2 is still in great shape to make the playoffs this year, but they need to get healthy if they want to avoid a round 1 knockout. I expect as many starters as possible to sit and rest up this week against a bottom of the barrel TUC squad.

The Toros are, in their own words, an almost team in an almost season. Close losses are their MO as they have only lost by double digits once against BKN (the single best defense in the CFL). I like where GM sverngold is taking the team, but the fans are surely frustrated with how long it's taking. QB O'Neill is still a work in progress, but he and RB Johnson should find some success this week against a decimated Rounders squad.

The Toros will cover this week in a close game, but I think they'll find a way to lose in the end. 30-27 LVS.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 2058 Betting Preview - Week 9
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:47 pm 

If we score 27 pts that, would be a miracle.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:15 am 

Two out of three is alright. :)

Sorry Craig but I kinda see Fargo taking this one. Holzer and Crabtree are terrifying...

Joined in 2057

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:35 am 

oh god why is every prediction i make going horribly wrong now

:X

will be watching the brooklyn game intently...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:44 am 

Hey, we covered, just like you said, and found a way to lose. Well played oh predictor person.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:43 am 

zenzog wrote:
oh god why is every prediction i make going horribly wrong now

:X

will be watching the brooklyn game intently...

All I know is your not allowed to pick my team to win.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:08 am 

Haha your time will come... the Voodoo have very interesting matchups coming up!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:31 am 

Ohh, the Kansas is preparing a great big Storm full of garlic and sharpend wooden sticks as an on form Gruenenich awaits two games against the Vamps :twisted:

Joined in 2057

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:55 pm 

Ternvig wrote:
Ohh, the Kansas is preparing a great big Storm full of garlic and sharpend wooden sticks as an on form Gruenenich awaits two games against the Vamps :twisted:

Hope you're ready for Mr. Mahoney :twisted:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:39 pm 

Cheesehead Craig wrote:
If we score 27 pts that, would be a miracle.

Kneel before your Makee

Offline Profile