It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 11:05 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: A little draft discu
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:43 pm 
Tulsa Talons

The top 2 picks were pretty obvious and nothing out of the ordinary. El Paso took WR Sonkin at 3 which was a suprise to me, but not really a reach. Sonkin is clearly the best WR in the draft and no one else would have really helped El Paso at 3. At 4 I took Fulton, no suprise there. I badly needed a RB, he was the best one available. After that we had 2 O-line men go with LT Aaron and C Capoccia, again no real suprises here they were both rater very high. 6 is a little high for a C but he is rater so high he is probably going to be worth it. After that Bronson was taken at 7, I had projected Bronson to go in the top 5 so at 7 he is a pretty good value. After that CB Scott was taken at 8. That was a little higher than I expected, but not really a reach, he was by far the best CB available and filled a need for Shreveport, he should turn out to be very good. Then today Fargo traded up to 9 and drafted the first QB, Bridges. This pick was a suprise to me. Fargo has a nice QB in Martinez, but QB was still a need. Bridges should turn out to be very good with some development. I saw S Campbell as being a possibility at 9 over Bridges.

Some players around I thought would have been gone by now-
DE Vazquez
S Campbell
RB Sonntag

Anyone else have any options on how the draft has gone so far? It is very interesting to watch it all unfold with human managers instead of the computer's AI.

Home of Marvin "Muddy Waters" Raffo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:01 pm 
El Paso Vulture

After the next pick is made I'm going to be posting a write up of the top 10 picks.

Campbell was a possability, and likely wouldn't have gotten by me if he were available at 14 and Bridges was gone, but there was some concern over his ratings to take him too high. Bridges scored at the top for his position in Intelligence, Strength, and Agility, and was also near the top in his 40 time. He's also got very good accuracy and timing, qualities that I look for in a franchise QB.

Vazquez being around isn't a real great surprise to me, as 2 other DEs have already been taken and he may be suited to be a situational pass rusher instead of an every down end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:11 pm 

If I had kept my pick at 8, Scott would have been my pick as well. It wouldn't surprise me to see Campbell slip a bit, he's a bit volatile for a first round safety. Of course, that's one position where I have had no luck with high draft picks, so I'm gunshy.

Depending on who is selected in the next 10 picks, I may be interested in dropping down a bit more, I'm only seeing 3 or 4 more players that I like as top 20 talent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:19 pm 
Tulsa Talons

[quotee86d679="Ryche"]
Depending on who is selected in the next 10 picks, I may be interested in dropping down a bit more, I'm only seeing 3 or 4 more players that I like as top 20 talent.[/quotee86d679]

That is what I am seeing also- a lot of players who would be solid picks between 16-25, but none really worthy of a 10-15 pick. I have my eye on one guy for 31, but with the way the draft has been going I would not be suprised to see him off the board around 15, or 20.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:38 pm 

Doesn't the 'draft commission' make the next pick for Chicago?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:49 pm 
El Paso Vulture

[quote30058d1="Ryche"]Doesn't the 'draft commission' make the next pick for Chicago?[/quote30058d1]

Although he hasn't posted at the forum yet, I believe we do have an owner for Chicago. I'm thinking the pick should be made soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:03 pm 

Ah, I thought Chitown was ownerless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:30 pm 
Legendary Former Owner

[quote7762d8d="Ryche"]Ah, I thought Chitown was ownerless.[/quote7762d8d]

Damn, that has gotta be the coolest armadillo I've ever seen! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:32 pm 

[quotee1feeb7]Damn, that has gotta be the coolest armadillo I've ever seen! [/quotee1feeb7]

Easily :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:39 am 
Shreveport Pride

Yeah, I was in desperate need of a CB, so I decided to make the move to get Scott. I was considering one of the two DT's with the pick as well, but decided that my needs at CB were much higher. Plus, I have a defensive coordinator that is excellent at training young DB's, so that swayed my decision as well.

Apart from the mock draft, I realize how precious CB's are in FOF, so I knew that if I wanted one of the two decent ones on the board, I would have had to make a move.

Obviously if Bronson would have slipped to me here, I would have picked him instead.

I'm not surprised about the RB, Sonntag, has not gone yet. He is a good prospect, however, the draft is always seems to be a little deeper at RB. Whoever picks him up will get steal wherever they pick him from here on out.

Eastern Conference Champions
2009, 2031, 2055
CFL Champions
2031, 2055
Hall of Fame
Joshua Mask, Douglas Hartman, Carl Bradford, Leland Wellins, Wally Wooden (#80), Brantley Gilmore (#9)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:27 am 

I thought about taking the RB, but NO is going to get better at that position every year with Creel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:14 am 

I'm going to be out of town from Thursday afternoon to Monday afternoon. Will a draft list that will get me through my second round pick be sufficient or are we planning on getting further through the draft than that this weekend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:15 am 

I wish we would do less discussing and more picking :)

Im dieing to get to my pick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:51 pm 
Legend Of The Game

Tampa Bay selecting that guard at #11 has to be the biggest surprise so far. Although I think it was a good selection for them, especially since they play in the same division as Baltimore who has those two outstanding DTs. Even so, Tampa Bay probably could have traded down and still gotten their player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:06 pm 
Tulsa Talons

[quote3f77d5a="Taco"]Tampa Bay selecting that guard at #11 has to be the biggest surprise so far. Although I think it was a good selection for them, especially since they play in the same division as Baltimore who has those two outstanding DTs. Even so, Tampa Bay probably could have traded down and still gotten their player.[/quote3f77d5a]

That was a suprise to me also, but a good pick. Probably could have traded down a little- but not really too much of a reach. Kasowski is a very safe pick, his volatility of 1 makes him more valuable also...no real chance of him busting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:15 pm 
Death Valley Copperheads

[quote9c12c05="Doug5984"][quote9c12c05="Taco"]Tampa Bay selecting that guard at #11 has to be the biggest surprise so far. Although I think it was a good selection for them, especially since they play in the same division as Baltimore who has those two outstanding DTs. Even so, Tampa Bay probably could have traded down and still gotten their player.[/quote9c12c05]That was a suprise to me also, but a good pick. Probably could have traded down a little- but not really too much of a reach. Kasowski is a very safe pick, his volatility of 1 makes him more valuable also...no real chance of him busting.[/quote9c12c05]I disagree. It was a horrible, terrible, scummy pick. Just hideous.

I wanted that guy at 12th. I'm only slightly bitter. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:37 pm 

[quote4c8de57="daedalus"][quote4c8de57="Doug5984"][quote4c8de57="Taco"]Tampa Bay selecting that guard at #11 has to be the biggest surprise so far. Although I think it was a good selection for them, especially since they play in the same division as Baltimore who has those two outstanding DTs. Even so, Tampa Bay probably could have traded down and still gotten their player.[/quote4c8de57]That was a suprise to me also, but a good pick. Probably could have traded down a little- but not really too much of a reach. Kasowski is a very safe pick, his volatility of 1 makes him more valuable also...no real chance of him busting.[/quote4c8de57]I disagree. It was a horrible, terrible, scummy pick. Just hideous.

I wanted that guy at 12th. I'm only slightly bitter. :D[/quote4c8de57]

Well, good thing I got him when I did...337 lbs, 6'7" and lowest voltility...I couldn't refuse...and trading down would've screwed me...I just am so busy with work that I can't architect the trades like I did in the eNFL...which sucks, I love the offseason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:22 am 
El Paso Vulture

[quoteb604897="MC"]After the next pick is made I'm going to be posting a write up of the top 10 picks.[/quoteb604897]

A little late, but the first installment can be found here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:38 pm 

This draft needs to pick up the pace or we will NEVER be done with it.

Case in point, I have checked the forums about 8 times since the last draft pick was made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:15 pm 
Tulsa Talons

[quote2ad586e="Ramzavail"]This draft needs to pick up the pace or we will NEVER be done with it.

Case in point, I have checked the forums about 8 times since the last draft pick was made.[/quote2ad586e]

Tonight or tomorrow me and GE will try and figure something out to really speed up the later rounds, the draft does need to hurry- but I would also like to be able to pick all 7 rounds. I have an idea of what I would like to do- but I need to talk with GE about that. Does anyone have any ideas of how they would like to see the draft run? Or an idea on speeding it up? Also- if people want to just send a list to me, ge, or mc that will help speed it up also...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:16 am 
Legend Of The Game

[quoted8b374e="Doug5984"]Does anyone have any ideas of how they would like to see the draft run? Or an idea on speeding it up?[/quoted8b374e]

There are some ideas here: http://thecfl.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=109

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:11 am 

I think an idea is - we need to find more owners who care. This draft is going too slow, I am starting to lose interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:34 pm 
Legend Of The Game

GE, can we get an update from you on how we will do the rest of the draft? It would help me, and I'm sure some others also, plan out this next week. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:29 pm 
Honolulu Blue Pacific

Well, the problem is everyone wants to do 7 rounds. Most OOTP leagues barely get through 2 rounds of that draft....

7 round is too much. I say do 3 and call it a day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:46 pm 

[quotef170a72="MrBug708"]Well, the problem is everyone wants to do 7 rounds. Most OOTP leagues barely get through 2 rounds of that draft....

7 round is too much. I say do 3 and call it a day[/quotef170a72]

Sounds good to me. The draft is crawling right now.