It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:01 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:54 am 

Well folks, took a few weeks off to get ready for the playoffs and now they are upon us. We end the regular season 22-16-1 which is... pretty decent I guess?

I think the lines are pretty tight for this round but I think we have some live dogs coming up.

New Orleans at Omaha (-4) - The Voodoos may have had their inconsistencies over the season but they are a dangerous out for any team this postseason. They are a well rounded team with few obvious weaknesses other than their youth and inexperience but it is the defense that typically carries the day in New Orleans.

First round rookie DE Witt joined a defensive line anchored by NT Scott and newcomer DE Hoover to form one of the scariest units in the league. On the back end, a retooled secondary featuring 3 relatively new players in CB Kaiser, S Lindsay, and S Gibb have solidified remarkably quickly and allow just 222.9 passing yards per game (11th in the league). They are allowing just 17.3 points per game which is simply outstanding but the offense hasn't always come through.

While RBs Wells and Tatum have proven to be legitimate threats in the backfield, sophomore QB Reid has not been the most effective through the air. He is quick to dump the ball short or take off running and struggles to make good decisions when they need to push the ball deep. Hopefully this is something that punish them too much in the postseason and can improve in the coming months.

Omaha comes into the playoffs blistering hot-- 9 of their last 10 games have been wins despite missing several key pieces on offense. WR Marcus Dole has set a number of records in his career and recently claimed the receiving TDs record as well but a second championship would be even sweeter. It's hard to know what to expect with a fully healthy roster but one can imagine that it will be all gas and no brakes on offense. They are passable on defense with solid contributors like LB Garibay, CB Hughes and CB Lauher, but a hodgepodge defensive line gives up quite a lot on the ground.

I think this game will be close given the talent on both sides. The coaching in New Orleans is a bit suspect and I worry for them if Omaha jumps out to an early lead. In 7 of NOS' 9 wins they were leading at the half. The team's composition and game plan is certainly more comfortable playing from ahead. If they can slow down the OMA machine from the jump and force them to play at their pace, the Voodoos can make it to the next round. I have a feeling that might just happen this week: NOS wins a slugfest 26-24.

Miami at Las Vegas (-4) - Possibly the most exciting matchup this week pits the dynastic Las Vegas Rounders against TV's sweetheart Miami Talons. 2052 was the last time MIA was in the playoffs and fans are none too pleased that they're facing LVS right off the bat but I think there is a real chance for the upset.

The Talons boast a top 10 defense at all three levels. They are excellent run-stoppers, relentless pass-rushers, and supremely disruptive after the ball is in the air. Much of that starts with DE Nichols up front but there is talent up and down the field here: S Kahn from ORE, sophomores DE Cook and LB Davidson, third years CB Gaylor and Gillespie to name a few. The secondary is a perfect blend of athletic youth and veteran experience as CB Eastman and FS Kramer keep the young guys in line and prevent gaps or overextensions in coverage.

The offense lags behind the defense but it's not by much. QB Hughes and WR Keeler are posting great numbers-- career highs in some metrics!-- and the backfield does just enough to keep opponents honest. The issue plaguing this unit is turnovers-- 21 fumbles and 16 INTs through 16 games is pretty rough stuff. TE Kimsey, fantasy football's second best TE, has seen a drop in utilization but a huge increase in efficiency (an eye-popping 17.55 yards per catch with 7 TDs) and figures to play a big role this week against a banged up LVS secondary.

We don't really need to dwell on Las Vegas here. The league's model franchise has proven doubters wrong, finishing 11-5 after a 3-3 start, and really can't be discounted even now. They may find their road a little harder with injuries to DT Ogden, CB Strzelczyk, CB Leyva and S Kasica, but the next man up mentality is strong here. Only CB Leyva is confirmed out and we could see some of the other three starters back this week. There is a chance that DEs Anagnostis and Brock could cover for the thin secondary if they are able to break past two of the league's best offensive tackles. I'd say that those are the key matchups this week-- Brock and Anagnostis vs Shaw and Cloude.

Injuries are a part of the game, unfortunately, and for the moment it looks like MIA has the upper hand. QB Hughes' sprained knee could be in for a bad time if LVS wins in the trenches but it's far better than what the Rounders' secondary has to deal with. This is one of the better chances I've seen for a team to unseat the king and I think Miami has the ingredients to make it happen. The Talons clutch up against the defending champs: 33-27.

Brooklyn at Boston (-5) - The Brawlers are in a real pinch this week. QB Woodford is doubtful to play and the loss of FB Buckley, a real leader on the team, is bigger than many realize. They'll have their chances (they swept BOS 2-0 in the regular season) but the Blizzard should have the edge this week.

I wouldn't lay the -5 despite BRK's injuries and I have BOS winning a tight one 28-27.

Honolulu (-6) at Death Valley - The Sharks are rolling and find themselves with what appears to be a gimme in the wildcard round. The injury stricken Copperheads have lost 5 of their last 6 games but look like they could field a reasonable team this week. RB Lafrance (broken toe), WR Porter (bruised ribcage), and CB Dunk (knee tendinitis) were well enough to play last week and RT Poston has been cleared for contact (though he remains questionable). DVY are the definition of a grind-it-out team and will have their opportunities against a HON team that doesn't have big bodies up front. I don't love their chances outright but 6 points is a lot to give to a home team that loves doing what their opponent hates stopping.

I'll take the +6 with DVY here and hope QB Buckley isn't forced to air it out: HON wins but doesn't cover 20-17.

Last edited by zenzog on Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:47 pm 
Brooklyn Brawlers

Very typical for the Brawlers to be limping into the playoffs. QB picked up turftoe on our final drive vs. Santa Cruz and our FB was injured on a special teams play vs. Hartford in an offensive thriller.

Both Brooklyn and the Blizzard have our top CB out, Banks and Hannam, and have nagging injuries in the front seven, DT Arnold and SLB Burke. We will try to march our QB out there just like TE Moffit has to play.

Expect to be one and done just like last year. Even if we win, not thinking we can surpass the top teams in the conference.

First time Zen has featured the Brawlers on his preview, but he picked Brooklyn would cover. Kiss of Death, but always like reading your previews.

Cheers and good luck to all, Dean

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:59 pm 

Quote:
First time Zen has featured the Brawlers on his preview, but he picked Brooklyn would cover. Kiss of Death, but always like reading your previews.
Oops! I must not have liked any of the lines. Brooklyn is a hard team to handicap this season. Losing to SHR and TEN, beating SAO, NOS, and BOS... it's hard to know where the team is at. Best of luck to you, sir.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:28 pm 

OMA
MIA
BOS
HON

ATS for me

17 Division Titles
3-1 Bowls (2056, 2061, 2064, 2065)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:57 pm 
Las Vegas Rounders

Quote:
Miami at Las Vegas (-4) - Possibly the most exciting matchup this week pits the dynastic Las Vegas Rounders against TV's sweetheart Miami Talons.

There is a chance that DEs Anagnostis and Brock could cover for the thin secondary if they are able to break past two of the league's best offensive tackles. I'd say that those are the key matchups this week-- Brock and Anagnostis vs Shaw and Cloude.

Injuries are a part of the game, unfortunately, and for the moment it looks like MIA has the upper hand. QB Hughes' sprained knee could be in for a bad time if LVS wins in the trenches but it's far better than what the Rounders' secondary has to deal with. This is one of the better chances I've seen for a team to unseat the king and I think Miami has the ingredients to make it happen. The Talons clutch up against the defending champs: 33-27.
I don't think it will even be that close. As I stated earlier this season, it's not in the cards for us according to the FOF tells I saw earlier this season. My entire secondary got wiped out at the end of the season and that opens the door for Miami and my one-and-done prediction.

Brock and Anagnostis will need to do their thing, but it will be the Brock/Anagnostis vs Dunn/Besbeas/Farley matchup to keep an eye on. Shaw and Cloude can waste their talents on Breedlove and Lieberman. Brock's 4.57 speed and pass coverage skill may be on display at LB once again this week.

I don't see us advancing but we're pulling out all the stops to backfill the $46m we have in street clothes on the sideline this week.