It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC-07:00

READ THE SUMMARY BELOW BEFORE VOTING!!! Shall the CFL amend the Constitution as described below?
Yes 92%  92%  [ 23 ]
No 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Total votes: 25
 Post subject: Rule For Signing Pla
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:52 pm 
Legendary Former Owner

I separated this from the other CFL Constitution Amendments due to some very good issues that were raised.

After discussion in the amendment thread, it seems there is strong support for the following rule:

[be7a67e2]"No team may sign any player who was released after Week 17."[/be7a67e2]

The purpose of the rule is to allow teams to cut whomever they choose after the last regular season game, but preclude playoff teams from loading up on those players during the playoffs.

The rule also prevents teams from signing these salary cap casualties for the remainder of the season, and then franchising them the following year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:55 pm 
Detroit Vampires

I voted yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:19 am 
Legendary Former Owner

Come on boys, just two more votes and I promise I'll stop posting polls for at least a month! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:28 am 
Legendary Former Owner

I voted yes, what if a playoff team HAS to sign someone because of injury? How do they know when someone was cut?

Why don't we just eliminate cuts from non-playoff teams?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:40 am 
Legendary Former Owner

[quote0c5a205="wademoore"]I voted yes, what if a playoff team HAS to sign someone because of injury? How do they know when someone was cut?

Why don't we just eliminate cuts from non-playoff teams?[/quote0c5a205]

If you look at the player stats and it shows that he played in 2006, check the transaction log.

Eliminating cuts from non-playoff teams is unworkable since many teams want to cut guys before the end of the season for cap reasons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:35 pm 
Legendary Former Owner

[quote0a9d778="Grid Iron"][quote0a9d778="wademoore"]I voted yes, what if a playoff team HAS to sign someone because of injury? How do they know when someone was cut?

Why don't we just eliminate cuts from non-playoff teams?[/quote0a9d778]

If you look at the player stats and it shows that he played in 2006, check the transaction log.

Eliminating cuts from non-playoff teams is unworkable since many teams want to cut guys before the end of the season for cap reasons.[/quote0a9d778]

The transaction log does not tell what week someone was cut, does it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:20 pm 
Legendary Former Owner

[quote0fe2d62="wademoore"][quote0fe2d62="Grid Iron"][quote0fe2d62="wademoore"]I voted yes, what if a playoff team HAS to sign someone because of injury? How do they know when someone was cut?

Why don't we just eliminate cuts from non-playoff teams?[/quote0fe2d62]

Eliminating cuts from non-playoff teams is unworkable since many teams want to cut guys before the end of the season for cap reasons.[/quote0fe2d62]

The transaction log does not tell what week someone was cut, does it?[/quote0fe2d62]

The transaction log is chronological, so I usually figure it out based on recent transactions that I recognize.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:08 am 
Legendary Former Owner

[quotedd57ee8="Grid Iron"][quotedd57ee8="wademoore"][quotedd57ee8="Grid Iron"][quotedd57ee8="wademoore"]I voted yes, what if a playoff team HAS to sign someone because of injury? How do they know when someone was cut?

Why don't we just eliminate cuts from non-playoff teams?[/quotedd57ee8]

Eliminating cuts from non-playoff teams is unworkable since many teams want to cut guys before the end of the season for cap reasons.[/quotedd57ee8]

The transaction log does not tell what week someone was cut, does it?[/quotedd57ee8]

The transaction log is chronological, so I usually figure it out based on recent transactions that I recognize.[/quotedd57ee8]

Wow... that is so inaccurate.. you're relying on "recognizing" a transaction? that means me as an owner can claim stupidity and there is no way to check? I do not like that at ALL...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:48 am 
Legendary Former Owner

[quote599f7ee="wademoore"][quote599f7ee="Grid Iron"][quote599f7ee="wademoore"][quote599f7ee="Grid Iron"][quote599f7ee="wademoore"]I voted yes, what if a playoff team HAS to sign someone because of injury? How do they know when someone was cut?

Why don't we just eliminate cuts from non-playoff teams?[/quote599f7ee]

Eliminating cuts from non-playoff teams is unworkable since many teams want to cut guys before the end of the season for cap reasons.[/quote599f7ee]

The transaction log does not tell what week someone was cut, does it?[/quote599f7ee]

The transaction log is chronological, so I usually figure it out based on recent transactions that I recognize.[/quote599f7ee]

Wow... that is so inaccurate.. you're relying on "recognizing" a transaction? that means me as an owner can claim stupidity and there is no way to check? I do not like that at ALL...[/quote599f7ee]

An owner can't claim stupidity. It's on the owner and it will take a [b599f7ee]small[/b599f7ee] amount of effort.

If you're in the playoffs, it's on you to do the following:

1. Look at player stats. If he played in 16 games in the current year, that means you can't sign him.

2. Check the transaction log before the playoffs begin. Just [i599f7ee]write down the last transaction[/i599f7ee]. You can't sign any players released after that.

The only other options are:

1. Have people write down all of the players that they cut, which is a huge hassle.

2. Have someone write a program to post transactions by week like IHOF, but no one seems up to doing that.

Maybe someone could volunteer to post the last Week 17 transaction on the board so everyone will know.

If no one else does, I'll be happy to do it.

But I think each owner is responsible to keeping track of that. It just applies to playoff teams anyway, which is a small group.

Just my $.02. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:24 pm 
Legend Of The Game

I can take care of creating a thread that contains a list of all the players released after week 17. So that way it is easy for you to check to see if the player you want to sign is ok. I can easily do this when I run each playoff sim. If I do this are you ok with it, Wade?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:13 am 

I'd rather eliminate the post week 17 cuts, but I voted yes to the rule all the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:34 am 
Legendary Former Owner

I still say the smoother method is to eliminate cuts...

Everyone can make cuts in the Championship Game export if they want to help their cap?

What about that..

Only cuts after week 17 can be made during the championship game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:42 am 
Legendary Former Owner

[quote544f0ad="wademoore"]I still say the smoother method is to eliminate cuts...

Everyone can make cuts in the Championship Game export if they want to help their cap?

What about that..

Only cuts after week 17 can be made during the championship game?[/quote544f0ad]

I agree it would be smoother that way, which is how the original rule was designed.

However, the problem is twofold: 1) cutting players before the end of the season for cap reasons can be crucial; and 2) some teams might not be able to get their export in with the cuts in on time.

For example, the midweek export was run a 6am on 4/26. The final export, in which people would have needed to submit their cuts, was 10 hours later at 4pm.

I just think limiting the window to process such important transactions to a single export is unfair to many owners, especially those who might be unavailable due to work, vacation, etc. . .

Hopefully, in a future patch Jim will make the information as to when a player was released more accessible.