It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Where are you?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:12 pm 

I thought it would be interesting to know where everyone is at...please include yourself if you like

I'm in Puyallup WA...about 60 miles south of Seattle.

Puyallup is home of NFL quarterbacks Damon & Brock Huard & Billy Joe Hobert and current St Louis Ram WR Dane Looker. Also 2000 summer olympic champion swimmer Megan Quann.

I grew up in Enumclaw WA, not far from Puyallup, home of New Jersey Net bench player Brian Scalibrini and 2004 NASCAR rookie of the year Kasey Kahan.

I follow all of the Seattle sports teams...Seahawks, Mariners, & Sonics...and am a season ticket holder for UW Husky Football and am a huge supporter of #17 ranked UW Basketball.

OK...you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:05 pm 

I live in Miami, Oklahoma, which is in the EXTREME NE corner of the state. I'm only 12 miles from Kansas, 30 from Mizzou, and about 45 minutes from Arkansas. Also a little more than an hour away from the Tulsa Talons:)

Our famous player was Steve Owens who won the Heisman and later played for the Lions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:03 pm 
Legendary Former Owner

I live in frigid Sweden (two inches of snow outside), in north Europe. The town is Gothenburg, the second largest city in the country, and on the west coast. Norway is a four hour drive to the north and Denmark is two hours away across the sea.

The local teams are IFK Goteborg (soccer) and Frolunda Indians (hockey). IFK has won the UEFA cup twice (1982 and 1986) and Frolunda has produced NHL players such as Mikael Andersson, Daniel Alfredsson and Per-Johan Axelsson.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:50 pm 
Honolulu Blue Pacific

I follow all of the Seattle sports teams...Seahawks, Mariners, & Sonics...and am a season ticket holder for UW Husky Football and am a huge supporter of #17 ranked UW Basketball. [quote7518d72][/quote7518d72]

You poor, poor fan :twisted:

I live in Los Angeles County. Rocky Biddle went to the HS I Graduated and I also attended the HS that produced Tom and Tim Worrell. Currently, Desmond Reed of USC, ran track with me in HS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:32 pm 
El Paso Rockets

I live in Lewisville, Texas, which is smack in the middle of the DFW metroplex. However, I consider El Paso, Texas to be home and as everyone knows, I love my UTEP Miners sports teams...

El Paso Rockets
2016, 2037 Wild Card Team
2005, 2006, 2015 Cavalry Divison champs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:15 am 

wow...this is interesting...I hope everyone else joins in.

Yes, this past season was brutal to be a Mariner and Husky football fan...there is always next year. The Sonics are doing OK so far...so far...and the Seahawks? Looks like they will be a playoff team...but who knows

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:05 am 
Detroit Vampires

I'm from the south of France in a region known as the Camargue, a land of swamps, beaches, wild bulls and stallions, and our own unique brand of bull fighting (no death here, it's only a sport). Nearest towns are Montpellier (not the one in Vermont!) and Nimes (a lot of Roman history here).

Local soccer team is now down in french division 2 and I'm not really a big fan of soccer anymore so I don't follow them much.

I lived 5 years in the US, mainly in Poughkeepsie, NY which explains why I'm a Yankee (baseball) and Giants (football) fan!

I also worked a few months in Dallas at TI, so I know your part of the world, Jeebs. I even managed to visit the Shiner brewery, yummy...

And noisaddct, is there a MASCA factory in Puyallup ? I kinda rememeber some friends working over there as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:08 am 
Legend Of The Game

I currently live in Durham, NC, but grew up in Rockaway, NJ. I also spent 6 years near Albany, NY.

The only sport I follow any longer is pro football and I am a huge New England Patriots fan. I became a Patriots fan when Parcells became their coach. Go Pats!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:09 am 

[quoteb73ce8a="Taco"]The only sport I follow any longer is pro football and I am a huge New England Patriots fan. I became a Patriots fan when Parcells became their coach. Go Pats![/quoteb73ce8a]

I knew there was a reason why I thought you were a good guy :) GO PATS!!!

As for me, well, I live in Pintendre, a small town on the South shore of the St Lawrence River, nearby Quebec City.

Use to be a huge hockey fan, until the Nordiques broke my heart and left to become the Colorado Avalanche, and win the Stanley Cup in their first season there.

Nowadays, I'm pretty much like Taco and follow almost exclusively the NFL, a trend that started when the Nords left town, and I became a Pats fan with their Super Bowl run of 1996, when they lost to the Packers, and I was living in Pittsfield, MA (pretty close to where Taco used to live in Albany). Before that, I'd watch some football here or there, but from that day and on, I've not missed many Football Sundays. Lucky enough, we fall in Pats territory, so I've missed probably only one or two games on TV in the last 5+ seasons.

About local sports, I follow the football team of my alma mater, Laval University, the oldest French University in North America, fourth oldest in North America *overall*. They will be playing in the National Championship, called the Vanier Cup, next Saturday, trying to win for the second year in a row.
[bb73ce8a][color=redb73ce8a][size=24b73ce8a]GO ROUGE ET OR!!!!! [/sizeb73ce8a][/colorb73ce8a][/bb73ce8a]8)

I guess that is all :)

FM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:51 am 
El Paso Rockets

[quoted904b17="fantastic flying froggies"]I'm from the south of France... Nearest towns are...and Nimes (a lot of Roman history here).[/quoted904b17]

I've been to Nimes! My dad is a HUGE Roman history buff, so when we lived in Germany we made sure to visit as many Roman sites as we could. So that means you're not too far from Pont du Gard, correct? Or is my geography all screwed up?

[quoted904b17="fantastic flying froggies"]I also worked a few months in Dallas at TI, so I know your part of the world, Jeebs. I even managed to visit the Shiner brewery, yummy...[/quoted904b17]

Mmmmm, Shiner. Managed to get down there a couple of years ago, but it was on the weekend and we didn't realize that they only did tours during the week. Kind of kooky, but at least they kept the gift shop open late so that we could buy some stuff. :D

El Paso Rockets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:21 am 
Tulsa Talons

I'm in Lafayette Louisiana. About 45 minutes west of Baton Rouge, and 2 hours west of New Orleans.

lafayette is home to Jake Delhomme, Javon Walker, Brandon Stokley, Kevin Faulk...and quite a few more NFL players....

Its a pretty boring Cajun town... :)

Home of Marvin "Muddy Waters" Raffo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:11 am 
Detroit Vampires

[quote74d0e7f="JeeberD"][quote74d0e7f="fantastic flying froggies"]I'm from the south of France... Nearest towns are...and Nimes (a lot of Roman history here).[/quote74d0e7f]

I've been to Nimes! My dad is a HUGE Roman history buff, so when we lived in Germany we made sure to visit as many Roman sites as we could. So that means you're not too far from Pont du Gard, correct? Or is my geography all screwed up?[/quote74d0e7f]

That is absolutely correct, I live maybe 30 miles from there. As a kid, it seemed like our end of year day trip took us there every other year...

'tis funny actually, we seem to have a lot of geographical point in common. I've been to Germany as well, although in the east part (Dresden).[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:43 am 
El Paso Rockets

I've been to Dresden too... :P

Heh, the thing I remember most about Pont du Gard is that the first time we went there (we went I think three times, I told you my Dad is crazy for Roman stuff) it was a bit windy but there were people who were climbing out of the channel and walking along the very top of the aquaduct. I thought it looked cool, so I climbed up as well...and then my mom absolutely flipped out. She yelled at me to get back down inside where it was safe and then proceeded to give me probably the worst tongue lashing I ever got from her. That was once of the few times I've actually ever heard her swear...

Yeesh, you would think the woman thought I didn't have a sense of balance or something... :wink:

El Paso Rockets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:33 pm 

just outside philadelphia pa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:12 pm 
Santa Cruz Privateers

Im from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, a city called Escanaba, which is on Lake Michigan. I follow all sports- Football (Lions,Wolverines,and Dallas Cowboys(when I was a kid the Cheerleader movie came out and I was hooked)) Baseball(Chicago Cubs) Hockey (Redwings) and of course Nascar (go to Vegas and Bristol August races)Also love to fish and hunt and am a Father of a boy 6 and two girls 4 and 3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:13 pm 
Santa Cruz Privateers

Double post

Last edited by Fastcat on Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:40 pm 
Kansas City Crows

I am in Hernando, MS. It is about half an hour south of Memphis, TN and half an hour east of Tunica, MS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:41 pm 
Tennessee Milita

[quote91c52de="thater"]I am in Hernando, MS. It is about half an hour south of Memphis, TN and half an hour east of Tunica, MS.[/quote91c52de]

Do what? That is freakin crazy. I live like 15 minutes from you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:50 pm 
Kansas City Crows

Yes, Southaven is just up the road. I am actually south of the main town of Hernando, close to Coldwater.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:42 pm 

I'm glad I started this. I didn't think there would be people from Europe in the league.

How did you guys in Europe learn of football? I may be ignorant, but, I didn't know the NFL was broadcast in Europe.

I hope the other owners who have not spoken up yet chime in and give their 2 cents. Anyone else finding this as interesting as me?

I love it in Washington state. I spent several years in Hollywood/Los Angeles and the endless summer there was fun, but nothing ever matches home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:18 pm 

Seems like a chatroom to me :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:25 am 
Legendary Former Owner

My first game I saw was a Bears-Vikings exhibition game in my hometown. But my interest in football had been woken a couple of years earlier when my dad was in Chicago during the Super Bowl weekend 1986, he brought back a football and a T-Shirt commemorating the Bears' win. (I still have it!)

Super Bowls started airing live in Sweden in 1989 I think, and weekly highlights came not long after. I've only missed a couple of the more recent SB games since, and have watched quite a few MNF games as well after they started here a few years back.

I've also played some football myself, in the amateur Swedish league, for about six years. Took it up when I was 18, and quit for good when I was 24. Still have the helmets and pads.

After that, I helped out with managing the team for two or three more years. I've also been a referee (mostly line judge or back judge) for quite a few games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:13 am 
Death Valley Copperheads

Long Beach, CA. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:09 am 
Detroit Vampires

Like I said, I lived 5 years in the US in the mid-eighties and became a football fan then. I watched NFL footbal on TV of course, and also went to a few live games, college ball with Army in West Point (fabulous tailgate parties there!) and also pro games with the USFL New Jersey Generals. Got to see Flutie and Herschel Walker, that was great.

Also, when I lived in Germany, the town of Dresden had a german division 2 team, the Dresden Monarchs. The play was probably about high-school level, but lots of fun nevertheless. I went to as many games as I could and really enjoyed it.

In France, the NFL is also broadcast on cable, they usually show the MNF game on tuesday evenings. And the Super Bowl is usually live.

[quote1f6b520="Noisaddct"]How did you guys in Europe learn of football? I may be ignorant, but, I didn't know the NFL was broadcast in Europe.[/quote1f6b520]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:27 pm 
Legendary Former Owner

I'm from Hull on the east coast of England. Our football(soccer) team is Hull City who are finally starting to do well. Hull is also a big Rugby League town, a high impact sport I'm sure most of you would like if you got to see it. High speed, high impact, no helmets or pads. Is more like American Football than Rugby Union is. The city has two RL teams Hull Kingston Rovers and Hull FC.

Got into American Football in the eary 80's when they used to show a highlights package on a Sunday of the previous week's play. As it was the first time it had been on TV in UK they did a lot of learning the basics etc so that what was happening wasn't going over everybodys head.

Now we get to see live two Sunday afternoon games the late Sunday game (though only once the World Series has finished) and MNF (though it is more Tuesday morning football here!)

Tomorrow will get to see both Thanksgiving games. Also we have the season opener, all the play-off games and all the games spread around Christmas.

The only thing really missing is a good pre-game/post-game show.