It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:56 am 
Santa Cruz Privateers

I see the point on strategy, but why will the list not work for two picks in a round? The utility says the computer will pick the highest guy on list when it is your time to pick, is this not the case? Like I said earlier, this is my first draft, and to tell ya the truth, I hope the utility works cause I am setting my list after every round and letting it pick immediately for me, I dont have the time to sit at my computer for 2 weeks. (that is a joke, but I think you get my meaning)

San Andreas Division Champions: 2005,2007,2015,2017,2018,2019,2020,2021,2028,2032,2035

2032 Western Conference Champions

2032 CFL Champions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:27 am 

Just speaking from experiencing it in action. Owners are hesitant to set the list to pick immediately unless they are on the system to update the list within a few picks of their slot. I agree with you Fastcat. Just doesnt happen that way when you get rolling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:32 am 
Legendary Former Owner

[quote906f5f5="Fastcat"]I see the point on strategy, but why will the list not work for two picks in a round? The utility says the computer will pick the highest guy on list when it is your time to pick, is this not the case? Like I said earlier, this is my first draft, and to tell ya the truth, I hope the utility works cause I am setting my list after every round and letting it pick immediately for me, I dont have the time to sit at my computer for 2 weeks. (that is a joke, but I think you get my meaning)[/quote906f5f5]

Let's say you have the 2.15 and 2.16 pick.. you are setting your list when it gets to the 2.1 pick.. you have two WR's you really want with that 2.15 pick, so they are your top two... well, let's say neither of them get picked by 2.15... there you are, picking two WR's in a row...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:59 am 
Las Vegas Rounders

Preface: Not only my first MP draft but also my first experience with FOF.

I have some offers pending on some of my picks and a lot of contingencies exist. In the earlier rounds, I am thinking I wouldn't mind the delay (12 hours doesn't seem bad considering I wait 2 days currently for free agency) to make some moves and adjust my strategy accordingly.

Then again, I have a lot of moves to make and a lot of holes to fill, so I may be a little biased towards having time to sort it all out.

Real life does have it's way of getting the better of us. I'd rather have the flexibility of having the utility draft for me immediately on most of my picks or the luxury of pissing everyone off by taking 11 hours to make up my mind in the early round(s).

A 2 hour time limit would pretty much sink my draft as I would never have the time to be able to pick my guys myself and would have to hope my list is exactly correct so I don't end up drafting 3 TE's...

In any event, I'm ready for the draft whenever it starts and however it runs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:15 am 
Legend Of The Game

I think I just found a bug in the utility when trying to change my password...

I changed my password to a 10-character password and then wasn't able to log back in. I tried the old password - that didn't work... I tried the new password - that didn't work... Finally I tried the first 8 characters of the new password and it worked!

Apparently if you choose a password longer than 8 characters, it will accept it, but will only store the first 8.

Beware!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:02 pm 

[quote7287567="flere-imsaho"]Yes, I would prefer the "Minnesota" way - you miss your time to pick, you lose your pick. Not sure if FOF can handle that, though.

Also, when I log into the warroom, I don't see any players, is this correct?[/quote7287567]

I have not read the whole thread, so I don't know if somebody else has commented on this, but the "Minnesota" way as your refer here, aka the way the NFL deals with teams that are late, is not that the team loses its pick, but they keep being pushed back until they make a pick. Anybody who's quick enough to put in their pick before the late team is allowed to go ahead, but the team that is late doesn't lose its pick per se. They're still allowed to pick a player when they're ready. Sure 1, 2, or 3 players may have been picked by that time, but they still get to pick one.

FM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:17 pm 

If you go 12 hours this draft will stagnate. Anything greater than 4 to 6 is a mistake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:39 pm 

[quoteb30559f="Taco"]I think I just found a bug in the utility when trying to change my password...

I changed my password to a 10-character password and then wasn't able to log back in. I tried the old password - that didn't work... I tried the new password - that didn't work... Finally I tried the first 8 characters of the new password and it worked!

Apparently if you choose a password longer than 8 characters, it will accept it, but will only store the first 8.

Beware![/quoteb30559f]

It actually just stops recording keystrokes after 8. And it also says to not use one longer than 8:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:45 pm 
Santa Cruz Privateers

Thanks Wademoore I understand you now. :D

Here is a run down on the time thing assuming all teams use the full alloted time.

12 hours x 32 teams = 16 days
10 hours x 32 teams = 13 days
8 hours x 32 teams = 11 days
6 hours x 32 teams = 8 days
4 hours x 32 teams = 5 days

Now I realize there is only a .01% chance of it going to this extreme, but this is only the 1st round numbers, I think somehow we must figure out how to cut some fat here.

San Andreas Division Champions: 2005,2007,2015,2017,2018,2019,2020,2021,2028,2032,2035

2032 Western Conference Champions

2032 CFL Champions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:54 pm 
Legendary Former Owner

Well, I personally don't have a problem with an 8-hour limit, but then again I have a wireless network in my house and don't sleep more than 8 hours. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:28 pm 
El Paso Vulture

[quotea43df1a="TurfToe"]Why don't we just encourage everyone to have a list and use the time expiring option?

That way if someone is about to go off the clock, the utility selects from their list. No list, no pick.

My 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:34 pm 
El Paso Vulture

Dola:

[i17a62bb]VII. Drafting Procedures
A. The amateur draft will take place approximately over a 10-14 day span.
B. Picks will be made on the web site via the IHOF Draft Utility.
C. Each franchise has a time limit of fourteen (14) hours from the time the previous pick has been posted to make their selection.
D. If an owner does not make a pick in the alloted time frame, the pick will be made automatically and the franchise's time limit for future picks will be lowered to eight (8) hours.
E. If an owner fails to make a pick for a second time, all future picks for that franchise will be made automatically.
F. The method for an automatic pick consists of:
1. Automatic selection based on entries in the owner's Draft List.
2. If Draft List is empty, the pick will be made by the in-game AI.
G. The commisioner reserves the right to alter the time frame for picks in order to facilitate a draft of a reasonable length. Such an alteration would be made public knowledge at least 24 hours before it becomes effective.[/i17a62bb]

10 days may be a good length to shoot for, but we should probably finish in less time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:02 pm 

Keep in mind the commish needs everyones pwd unless the utility has been revised to create a master pwd. I found that you were prevented from making picks for players by the utility unless you had their pwd and there was not capability for a master pwd.

Issues that just need exploring based on the USFL draft that I helped with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:16 pm 

Sacramento's extension is .010

FM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:30 pm 

As far as how the draft is run, I can't comment. 2 hours seems like an awfully short time frame with the time zone differences and may be an issue for some peoples schedules.

As for when to start, I agree rounds 10-14 should be about right.

Shooter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:00 pm 

why don't we just use a draft thread here in the forum...look at your game...make your pick...wtch the tread to know who has picked whom...Doug would update the game every 24 hours...this way all picks are posted, teams go "on the clock", and we don't have to worry about glitches

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:19 am 
Legendary Former Owner

I think we are overexagerating the affect of a 12 hour rule... a majority of the picks will not take 12 hours... just look at IHOF.. those are the exact rules they used and it took 7 days.. I think that is very reasonable.. 2-4 hours is just unrealistic to put as a limit with RL involved... particularly when we have people across the world in this league...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:38 am 
Tulsa Talons

I think a tuesday start would be best- but I need to check my schedule, I might be gone all day so a wednesday start may have to do. Also, I am not sure on what the rules are with the utility we have, and if we can even change them. I sent a PM to tredwel asking that because I have not been able to log in to the master screen name to change draft order and that stuff. If the time limits are set at something shorter than 4 hours, would yall be in favor of doing round on on the message board- with a strict time limit. If you miss your pick I will go in and get the computer to select for you. I am in the eNFL and we use this utility and as long as everyone has a list incase they miss their pick everything works great, and it goes by very quickly...its up to yall to decide though- round 1 on the board if we cant get the time limit changed?

Home of Marvin "Muddy Waters" Raffo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:46 pm 

Im gonna say it once more and stop. It works great if people tell the utility to make the pick if I come on the clock. THe time limit doesnt matter. Problem is when blocks of owners instruct the utility to only pick when my time limit expires. The clock just ticks away and no picks are made. Example: I dont check in today. I have 12 hours on the clock until pick is made. Next owner is out of town. Now you have 2 picks in 24 hours. Trust me on this one. Owners WILL select the option that only protects the pick if they dont manually select. That defeats the purpose of a utility that allows list driven picks. Picks will take long blocks of time. You will all be pissed and complaining and then want to change the time limit mid-stream. Owners have ability to make the list and go away. Then if RL gets in the way the system makes your pick. No matter how short the deadline you are protected. I dont care what we do. Just dont want this thing to drag weeks when it doesnt have to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:50 pm 
Legendary Former Owner

[quote0f3f884="dberner30"]Im gonna say it once more and stop. It works great if people tell the utility to make the pick if I come on the clock. THe time limit doesnt matter. Problem is when blocks of owners instruct the utility to only pick when my time limit expires. The clock just ticks away and no picks are made. Example: I dont check in today. I have 12 hours on the clock until pick is made. Next owner is out of town. Now you have 2 picks in 24 hours. Trust me on this one. Owners WILL select the option that only protects the pick if they dont manually select. That defeats the purpose of a utility that allows list driven picks. Picks will take long blocks of time. You will all be pissed and complaining and then want to change the time limit mid-stream. Owners have ability to make the list and go away. Then if RL gets in the way the system makes your pick. No matter how short the deadline you are protected. I dont care what we do. Just dont want this thing to drag weeks when it doesnt have to.[/quote0f3f884]

I have to respectfully disagree that some large number of people will do this.. I just don't see it happening...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:42 pm 

i think we should conduct the draft via forum thread...i have a plan...doug starts a thread titled "seattle is on the clock"...seattle has 12 hours to pick or trade the pick...seattle replies in the thread with his action with "seattle chooses XXXXXX XXXXXX", and doug confirms this, then starts a new thread "atlantic city is on the clock". atlantic city then has 12 hours to reply in that thread his action (pick or trade). the game is updated every six or eight picks. any moron can keep up with that many picks removed from the pool before updating.

of course, a pick can be made quicker than 12 hours. i'm sure that we all check these forums regularly and with a draft under way, we should be checking more often...if a plyer does not make his pick, ther game will pick for him...

maybe a deputy commissioner could be named to help doug confirm picks and start the new pick?

thats my idea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:29 pm 
El Paso Vulture

[quote5371795="Noisaddct"]i think we should conduct the draft via forum thread...i have a plan...doug starts a thread titled "seattle is on the clock"...seattle has 12 hours to pick or trade the pick...seattle replies in the thread with his action with "seattle chooses XXXXXX XXXXXX", and doug confirms this, then starts a new thread "atlantic city is on the clock". atlantic city then has 12 hours to reply in that thread his action (pick or trade). the game is updated every six or eight picks. any moron can keep up with that many picks removed from the pool before updating.

of course, a pick can be made quicker than 12 hours. i'm sure that we all check these forums regularly and with a draft under way, we should be checking more often...if a plyer does not make his pick, ther game will pick for him...

maybe a deputy commissioner could be named to help doug confirm picks and start the new pick?

thats my idea[/quote5371795]

Trust me, using a utility works much better. Compare how slowly the draft progressed last season to the past 2 IHOF drafts wraping up in around 7 days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:59 pm 
Tulsa Talons

[quotecddec14="Noisaddct"]i think we should conduct the draft via forum thread...i have a plan...doug starts a thread titled "seattle is on the clock"...seattle has 12 hours to pick or trade the pick...seattle replies in the thread with his action with "seattle chooses XXXXXX XXXXXX", and doug confirms this, then starts a new thread "atlantic city is on the clock". atlantic city then has 12 hours to reply in that thread his action (pick or trade). the game is updated every six or eight picks. any moron can keep up with that many picks removed from the pool before updating.

thats my idea[/quotecddec14]

this is what we did the past 2 seasons- and really, it just didn't work out. It took forever to finish the draft up and was just a big mess. I'm hoping to hear back from Tredwel tomorrow to see what changes can be made to the utility rules- and we will just have to go from there.

Home of Marvin "Muddy Waters" Raffo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:30 am 
Legendary Former Owner

[quoteb241e03="Doug5984"][quoteb241e03="Noisaddct"]i think we should conduct the draft via forum thread...i have a plan...doug starts a thread titled "seattle is on the clock"...seattle has 12 hours to pick or trade the pick...seattle replies in the thread with his action with "seattle chooses XXXXXX XXXXXX", and doug confirms this, then starts a new thread "atlantic city is on the clock". atlantic city then has 12 hours to reply in that thread his action (pick or trade). the game is updated every six or eight picks. any moron can keep up with that many picks removed from the pool before updating.

thats my idea[/quoteb241e03]

this is what we did the past 2 seasons- and really, it just didn't work out. It took forever to finish the draft up and was just a big mess. I'm hoping to hear back from Tredwel tomorrow to see what changes can be made to the utility rules- and we will just have to go from there.[/quoteb241e03]

I have to ditto this.. it took over 2 weeks... it was absurd...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:39 pm 
Legendary Former Owner

Can we start the draft on the message board at least? I mean I know I'm taking one of 2 players at #2. If player A is there I take him, If he's gone I take player B.

I don't know if Seattle is ready to pick or not, but I know who I want.

Trample On!