It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Rookie Draft Clock
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:03 pm 
Tennessee Milita

Beginning on Monday, owners will have 12 hours to make a pick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:35 pm 
El Paso Vulture

Perhaps there should be an untimed period, something like 12PM to 6AM CST so the clock isn't running during the middle of the night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:41 pm 
Tennessee Milita

[quote21ccce6="MC"]Perhaps there should be an untimed period, something like 12PM to 6AM CST so the clock isn't running during the middle of the night.[/quote21ccce6]

Agreed and done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:01 am 
Shreveport Pride

What happens when the draft hits an *open* team and we haven't finished with free agency?

Eastern Conference Champions
2009, 2031, 2055
CFL Champions
2031, 2055
Hall of Fame
Joshua Mask, Douglas Hartman, Carl Bradford, Leland Wellins, Wally Wooden (#80), Brantley Gilmore (#9)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:17 am 
Tennessee Milita

I think that I should choose 5 owners to vote on a pick for a vacated team. I have three in mind and probably need two more. The requirments would be to have AIM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:39 am 

Why not wait to officially open the draft when free agency is done?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:14 pm 
Tulsa Talons

[quoteecd1588="sachmo"]Why not wait to officially open the draft when free agency is done?[/quoteecd1588]

I think that would cause the offseason to run to long, by now most of the very good players in free agency are gone so it shouldn't affect someones drafting strategy for the first 2 rounds very much.

Home of Marvin "Muddy Waters" Raffo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:08 pm 
Shreveport Pride

Is this thing on? :?:

If so . . . sachmo and the Breakers are on the clock.

Shreveport is on deck. :)

Eastern Conference Champions
2009, 2031, 2055
CFL Champions
2031, 2055
Hall of Fame
Joshua Mask, Douglas Hartman, Carl Bradford, Leland Wellins, Wally Wooden (#80), Brantley Gilmore (#9)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:39 pm 
Tulsa Talons

[quoteddaba7a="Raven Hawk"]Is this thing on? :?:

If so . . . sachmo and the Breakers are on the clock.

Shreveport is on deck. :)[/quoteddaba7a]

I have not heard otherwise from GE on the clock starting, I think it needs to start so we can get this underway. Sachmo would officially be off the clock now (12 hours past 6 am). GE is away right now but I will talk to him about it as soon as he gets back online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:59 pm 
El Paso Vulture

Doug and I came up with the idea to make the pick for someone, though they will have until the next person makes their pick to change it.

For example, if we were to make the pick player A for New Orleans, sachmo could come on before San Antonio makes their pick he could say, "I want Player B." We're going to get GE's take on this once he gets back, though I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on this plan.

Also, now that the clock has started I'd highly encourage PMing or emailing a list of picks to GE if you think you may be unable to be online to make your pick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:02 pm 
Tennessee Milita

I agree MC. I think that we can go that route. I also think that we should start the draft now due to free agency really winding down. The eNFL only game 6 hours for picks and their draft was alot shorter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:54 pm 
Honolulu Blue Pacific

Personally, I think we should stop striving to be like the eNFL myself. They can be the Swiss and we are the Jamaicans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:11 pm 

[quoteb42844c="MC"]For example, if we were to make the pick player A for New Orleans, sachmo could come on before San Antonio makes their pick he could say, "I want Player B." We're going to get GE's take on this once he gets back, though I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on this plan.
[/quoteb42844c]

And why can't we do it like the NFL?? If you run out of time, the next team may make a pick, but if you can get your pick in before them, it's still yours... I don't see the need for somebody, who is involved in the league, to make a pick, no offense to you or Doug is meant by this though...

FM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:16 pm 
Tulsa Talons

[quotea9cd1e7="FrogMan"]

And why can't we do it like the NFL?? If you run out of time, the next team may make a pick, but if you can get your pick in before them, it's still yours... I don't see the need for somebody, who is involved in the league, to make a pick, no offense to you or Doug is meant by this though...

FM[/quotea9cd1e7]

That could work- would the person have to acctually trade thier pick down (if you miss your pick and the team after you makes thiers, do you trade first round picks before the draft starts?) Also- what if someone drops out and misses their pick...that could really hurt the next owner. I do not mind either way, I am just trying to see how all it would work. I would really just like to see the draft get under way and moving along

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:41 pm 

[quote0cbce7c="Doug5984"][quote0cbce7c="FrogMan"]

FM[/quote0cbce7c]

That could work- would the person have to acctually trade thier pick down (if you miss your pick and the team after you makes thiers, do you trade first round picks before the draft starts?) Also- what if someone drops out and misses their pick...that could really hurt the next owner. I do not mind either way, I am just trying to see how all it would work. I would really just like to see the draft get under way and moving along[/quote0cbce7c]

Remember how the Vikings goofed up in the draft last year? They ran out of time, so the next team was allowed to make its pick, which they did real fast, then the following team was on the clock and was allowed to make a pick, then the Vikings finally got their pick in.

You basically get pushed back when you run out of time on your pick. But you always have the right to select a player.

For example, my team is picking 13th. Say I'm late and run out of time, then the 14th team is on the clock, but I can still make my pick if I wish to. It then sort of becomes a race if the 14th team wants to pick before me or not. They still have the right to take their full alloted time to make their pick, but if they do, they run the risk that I may make my pick...

FM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:41 pm 
El Paso Vulture

[quote619ef4c="FrogMan"][quote619ef4c="MC"]For example, if we were to make the pick player A for New Orleans, sachmo could come on before San Antonio makes their pick he could say, "I want Player B." We're going to get GE's take on this once he gets back, though I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on this plan.
[/quote619ef4c]

FM[/quote619ef4c]

The main reason I can think of is that this is unlike the NFL, this is not the main thing people have going. There may be times when someone is unable to get to a computer to make their pick due to a sudden change of plans or an emergency of some sort. I'd hate to see someone drop from the mid first round to early second because of a family emergency or something else that requires their attention, and think it'd be better to have a player of first round caliber selected by a group of others than to be stuck with a player of second round caliber.

This is also one of the reasons I'd encourage people to send a list when their pick is a few away if there is such a situation. There's a big difference between running out of time because of another team welshing on a trade and just being unable to make the pick at all (like the kind of situation Qwikshot posted about having recently).

Last edited by MC on Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:44 pm 

[quoteb0000b0="MC"][quoteb0000b0="FrogMan"][quoteb0000b0="MC"]For example, if we were to make the pick player A for New Orleans, sachmo could come on before San Antonio makes their pick he could say, "I want Player B." We're going to get GE's take on this once he gets back, though I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on this plan.
[/quoteb0000b0]

FM[/quoteb0000b0]

The main reason I can think of is that this is unlike the NFL, this is not the main thing people have going. There may be times when someone is unable to get to a computer to make their pick due to a sudden change of plans or an emergency of some sort. I'd hate to see someone drop from the mid first round to early second because of a family emergency or something else that requires their attention, and think it'd be better to have a player of first round caliber selected by a group of others than to be stuck with a player of second round caliber.

This is also one of the reasons I'd encourage people to send a list when their pick is a few away if there is such a situation. There's a big difference between running out of time because of another team welshing on a trade and just being unable to make the pick at all.[/quoteb0000b0]

MC, that's right, makes a lot of sense.

FM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:46 pm 
El Paso Vulture

Mainly I don't want any owners to get upset and possibly leave about having to miss something (like the unfortunate loss of Old Giants. If it's before the draft started officially in game, I don't see why a team couldn't change their pick, but at least they'd have a player reserved for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:46 pm 

dola

Are we going forward with the clock or not, this is still unclear to me. I see the announce at the top, then MC makes the good point of having a stoppage of the clock during the day, then all I see is "agreed and done" as a response...

Shouldn't this be posted in the schedule somewhere?

FM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:49 pm 
El Paso Vulture

I think that GE is trying to contact sachmo to make sure he knows he's on the clock now. I think things should pick up once he makes his pick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:02 pm 

Well, I'm going to make my pick, but if someone else is being held up they can go ahead and make theirs, or whatever. I'm going to finish the draft, but my team is open for a new owner, or computer when the season starts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:13 pm 
Tucson Toros

[quote496a8f6="sachmo"]Well, I'm going to make my pick, but if someone else is being held up they can go ahead and make theirs, or whatever. I'm going to finish the draft, but my team is open for a new owner, or computer when the season starts.[/quote496a8f6]

:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:13 pm 
El Paso Vulture

[quotebd6809e="sachmo"]Well, I'm going to make my pick, but if someone else is being held up they can go ahead and make theirs, or whatever. I'm going to finish the draft, but my team is open for a new owner, or computer when the season starts.[/quotebd6809e]

Personally I wish you'd reconsider and would like to see you stay.

As far as running the draft during free agency, it's no an ideal situation but I believe it is something that we have to do if we want more control over our teams. It would be nice to wait until it was finished, but with the time a draft takes to run I know how long it'd take for us to get through two rounds. This way we'll be able to run a few more on our own (I don't know how we're doing the later rounds or if we have anything planned yet, and I think there are a few options we have availabe).

I can understand your problems with running the draft right now, though I don't know any way around it if we want to pick as many rounds as we can in a reasonable time frame. If it's something you've made your mind up on, then there's nothing I could do but I'd like it if you were to stay in the league.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:24 pm 

I just don't have the time to run in two leagues anymore. I needed to make a choice, and I feel that my other league works better with my schedule. Sorry if I held anyone up, but it just brings to light how little free time I have these days. :(

It's been a lot of fun! Thanks guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:58 pm 
El Paso Vulture

[quoted07e8fc="sachmo"]I just don't have the time to run in two leagues anymore. I needed to make a choice, and I feel that my other league works better with my schedule. Sorry if I held anyone up, but it just brings to light how little free time I have these days. :(

It's been a lot of fun! Thanks guys![/quoted07e8fc]

That's understandable. Best of luck with the rest of the offseason and with the other league, and thanks for being in the league.